Thursday, December 3, 2009

Eat mor chikin

Dropped off Aka at school today, and as we pulled through the drop-off line, guess who was there to greet him? None other than the Chick-fil-a cow, dancing around and waving to all. Ahh, how nice. Not. :( I want school to be a commercial free zone. I'm sure Chick-fil-a is a fine establishment, and I do appreciate their in-door playground on mornings that I meet my friend Maria there for breakfast, but I'd rather not see that dancing cow first thing in the morning. Was it dancing to ward of the cold, or maybe it hadn't been milked this morning? I don't know.

I work hard, and not altogether successfully, to shelter my kids from the barrage of advertising. These poor deprived children don't even know about Saturday morning cartoons, aside from PBS's meager Saturday offerings. Isn't it strange that PBS has kids shows on almost all day during the week, but on Saturday they finish up by 9, or maybe it's 10. My kids sleep late, so they usually just see "Animalia" and then "This Old House" comes on. Maybe Aka can pick up some house remodeling tips. Anyway, I know these boys need to learn about commercial messages and how to discern what they are really saying, but we're not quite there yet. Actually, me and Aka do talk about it sometimes. It's strange to me how people can get so worked up about, for example the President speaking to kids or saying the word "Christmas" at school, but yet don't complain about bookfairs filled with toys and non-book items and all the other pushing of commercial products that subtly appears as time goes on. So maybe I should look at that dancing cow as an opportunity to discuss.

Or maybe I should just go buy a chicken biscuit.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I just wanted to let you know, I'm enjoying your blog so far. It has made me laugh out loud. If it makes you feel any better, whenever the boys come over here they don't watch tv...movies though, yes.

Kelincha said...

Thanks sis. Well, they do need some occasional pop culture education too.