Decided today to participate in Gwen Bell's "Best of 2009" blog challenge
I was planning to write about books soon anyway, so let's do this thing! So, the topic is a book that I read in 2009 that touched me. I've read a lot of books this year, 60+, but sad to say that there aren't a whole lot of those that stand out to me or left an impact where I can remember them without reviewing my goodreads shelves. That said, I think the best reading experience I've had this year has been rereading "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" with my 6 yr old, Aka. I have been itching to move into chapter books with him, and this year we did. I have all sorts of ideas about how I want to brainwash my 2 hapless minions, and instilling a love of books is definitely near the top of the list.
(Ah, see how nice it sounds when you say "instilling" something rather than "brainwashing"?)
Although in many ways Aka is a mini-version of DH, minus the constant worrying and most of the OCD habits, reading together is something that allows us to connect. I love hearing this little boy's opinions on books that I read and loved as a child and I usually love hearing him say, "One more chapter, please!!!!!" I've got so many old favorites that I can't wait to share with him. Right now we're reading the Little House on the Prairie series, which "isn't just for girls!" as he told his friend the other day. After that, he wants to hear more about the Indian in the Cupboard and then we've got to read The Borrowers. Big plans, big plans for 2010.
But back to the Mouse and the Motorcycle....it's a bromance featuring a rebellious mouse with a jonesin' for pb&j and a desire to join the Hell's Angels. What more could you want?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment